"Don't shine so others can see you. Shine so that through you, others can see Him."
“Unto Him” started as a simple family community service project, inspired by the book “A Cup Of Cold Water in His Name – 60 Ways to Care For The Needy”, by Lorie Newman.
I heard Lorie interviewed about her book on “Focus On The Family” in April of 2015. I was so inspired by the interview that I purchased the book. My family and I started using Lorie’s book as a guide to engage in creative ways to serve people in need in our community every Sunday after church. Soon others started hearing about what our family was doing, and asked if their families could join us.
In June of 2016 we decided to formally start scheduling community service projects - starting with a dinner serving at a local downtown Indianapolis mission for homeless men - under the name of “Unto Him”. Since then “Unto Him” has had over 120 people volunteer to serve thousands of people in need throughout central Indiana.
Our volunteers are made up of everyday people - transcending gender, race, denomination, church affiliation, and social economic status – all with one commonality: our love for the Lord, and our desire to please Him by serving those in need in our community.
As our number of volunteers continues to rapidly grow by the month, so does the reach, depth, and breadth of those in need that we are able to serve.
Our 2016 Accomplishments
Our 2016 In-kind Support
9 Wheeler Mission Friday dinner servings:
- Served approximately 1,593 homeless men
6 Family Promise breakfast and dinner servings, through 3 churches (St Luke’s United Methodist, Orchard Park Presbyterian, and All Souls Unitarian):
- Served approximately 102 homeless men, women, and children
85 food tote cases, through 2 schools (Lawrence North HS and Horizon Christian school), and 5 individuals:
- Served 85 students in need
38 bags of Thanksgiving groceries:
- Delivered to 19 families in need
170 Thanksgiving hot dinners
- Delivered to 170 people in need
Riley Children’s Hospital, through “Girls into GODLY Women” (giGW):
- Purchased and delivered 20 toys
Approximately 570 toys and clothing items purchased as Christmas gifts:
- Serving 76 children in need
Boys Unto Him Summer Basketball program & devotional
- Served 25 boys, grades 4 - 7
Our 2016 Financial Support
- $750 Financial donations to 2 families in need – to serve 8 additional children in need during Christmas
- $1,000 Financial donation for funeral service cost for 3-year-old Olivia – to serve the Miniear family
- $600 donation to Family Promise Day Center to repair AC unit
- 9 cases of pampers donated to the Family Promise Day Center for homeless women with infant children
- $150 in Kroger gift certificates for families in need
- $1,130 to support various individuals and families with various needs
Our Community Partners
Family Promise of Greater Indianapolis
St Luke’s United Methodist church
Orchard Park Presbyterian church
All Souls Unitarian church
New Revelation Christian church
Castleview Baptist church
Lawrence Township schools
Horizon Christian school
Meijer Southport Rd Store
Brookside Community Church
Castleton United Methodist church
Trader’s Point Christian church
White River Christian church
Angel Tree Ministries
Circle of Trust Ministries
Alexander & Associates
Recycle Force Inc.
Indianapolis Public Libraries
Shepherd Community Center